Is your public safety organization looking to start a drone (UAV) program? We here at DSLRPros have compiled the best resources to get funding so you can get your drone program off the ground.
We get it, drones (UAVs) can be expensive especially when equipped with thermal imaging and zoom cameras. However, drones have already proven themselves as an invaluable tool for police, law enforcement, firefighting, search and rescue (SAR), and disaster response officials. From May 2017 through April 2018, drone manufacturer DJI confirmed that at least 65 people were saved by drones. See how drones used for search and rescue (SAR) can find people in freezing night time conditions here. Also, see the different use cases for drones and law enforcement with this beautiful infographic here.
What is a grant? A grant is a way the government funds ideas and projects to provide public services and stimulate the economy.
Firehouse Subs Public Safety Foundation – Their goals are to impact the life-saving capabilities, and the lives, of local heroes and their communities.
EQT Foundation – Another resource we found was from the EQT Foundation. They give out grants to volunteer SAR or firefighting departments.
Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) – Offers a great place to search law enforcement grants, find information, tools, and links.
Homeland Security/Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Grants
Federal grants through FEMA can be found here, these are specifically for drones (sUAS). These grants are for organizations pertaining to first responders which include, firefighters, emergency medical service, and pre-disaster mitigation.
These are the requirements for the FEMA Grants:
- Please justify the need for the aircraft and how the requested platform best meets that need as compared to other options;
- Please explain how the requested aircraft fits into the State/Urban Area’s integrated operational plans;
- Please explain what types of terrorism incident response and prevention equipment with which the requested aircraft will be outfitted;
- Please describe how this aircraft will be used operationally and which response assets will be deployed using the requested aircraft; and
- Please describe how this aircraft will be utilized on a regular, non-emergency basis.
FEMA Related Grant Programs:
- State Homeland Security Program (SHSP)
- Urban Areas Security Initiative Program (UASI)
- Port Security Grant Program (PSGP)
- Emergency Management Performance Grant (EMPG) Program